Group Activities and Enhancements
Let us help you build your custom team event, Hawaiian style. Choose from a wide range of additions and activities to make your event unforgettable. E pā‘ani mai! (Come and play!)
For more information, please contact the Fairmont Orchid Group Sales Team at +1 808 887 7363
- Welcome ʻoli (Chant Of Welcome) – In Hawai‘i, it is proper protocol to start events of importance with a prayer or ‘oli (chant) of welcome. This brings everyone together in one mind, one heartbeat, one thought to move forward united and in the spirit of your event.
- Pū Kani (Conch Shell Blower) – Whether signifying the start of an event or transitioning an event, the sound of the conch shell will get the attention you seek.
- Big Kahuna Canoe Arrival– Especially for events held at Coconut Grove. Have your Big Kahuna, VIP or surprise guest arrive Hawaiian-style aboard a Hawaiian double-hulled canoe paddled by our very own Fairmont Orchid Hui Holokai (Beach Boys). Their arrival is also announced by the sound of the conch shell. Scheduled and coordinated with your event times. Hawaiian costume available.
- Lei Greeters – Greet your guests Hawaiian-style, with a fresh flower or kukui nut lei by greeters (male and female as requested) at the entrance of your event. Lei represent a continuum of aloha to adorn you always. Lei to be selected and ordered separately based on current market price. Duration: 1–2 hours
- Fire Pit – Warm up your night time function on the beach at coconut grove.
Storyteller and s’mores booked separately. Duration: 2–3 hours
- Moonlight Canoe Rides – Your guests will take a moonlight paddle to enjoy the cool ocean spray and the magical view of the resort and island. Reserve up to 4 canoes captained by our Hui Holokai. Duration: 2–3 hours
- Canoe Regatta – Three teams of three each, coached and steered by our very own Hui Holokai, will race in heats up through a final elimination to celebrate the top four teams. In true Hawaiian style, each paddler is greeted back on shore with a lei to celebrate their race and team spirit. Reserve up to three four-person canoes for your attendees to race in. Awards not included and can be customized for your event. Duration: 2–4 hours
- Twilight Snorkeling – The ocean and reef are a buzz with nocturnal marine life that you won’t normally see in the light of day. Flashlights, glow sticks and snorkel equipment included for the Hui Holokai guided event. One Hui Holokai per five attendees. For guests 13 and older. Duration: 1.5 hours
- Snorkel Introduction – Starting on the shore with an introduction to equipment, proper fitting and safety, our Hui Holokai will gently guide you into the water to explore the beautiful Hawaiian reef. Equipment includes a mask, snorkel, fins, defogger for your mask and a fish identification card. Guests of all ages are welcome to participate in a group introduction to snorkeling. One Hui Holokai per 11 attendees. Duration: 1 hour
- Volleyball – Enjoy your time at Pauoa Bay with beach volleyball in the sand with or without a referee. Organized games or pick up games area available. Simply reserve the court and a referee if desired. Duration: 2–3 hours
- Private Historic Tours – Customize the day and time of a private hike for your attendees to the Kalāhuipua’a Fishponds, Puakō Petroglyphs or right here on property for our Nā Mea Waiwai O Milokūkahi (Treasure of Milokūkahi). Cold bottled water provided for your attendees. Duration: 2 hours
- Hula Lessons – One of Hawai‘i’s treasured arts is the hula. Learn hula basics, history and folklore along with dance steps that you will long be sharing with friends and family. For participants of all ages, everyone is welcome. A sound system is required for groups larger than 25 (additional cost at market price). Duration: 1 hour
- Kayak Fishing Adventures – Your guests will paddle their kayaks as they are guided by our Hui Holokai to a favorite snorkeling or fishing spot. This two-hour adventure includes a single or double kayak, paddles, water and snorkel or fishing equipment – as requested. For ages 16 and older. Duration: 2 hours
- Shoreline Holoholo (Fishing) Tournament Or Activity – If you enjoy fishing, you will enjoy this leisure holoholo activity. In Hawai‘i, you never ask if someone is going fishing. We always say “holoholo”, which means, “I’m just going out – here and there.” The fish may hear you and you will most likely come home empty handed. Go holoholo with our Hui Holokai to their favorite spot on the shoreline. Bamboo poles, line and tackle, and water provided for all attendees. Awards/certificates provided for all participants. For guests of all ages. Duration: 2 hours
- Hawaiian Makahiki Games – Makahiki in Hawai‘i is the equivalent of a harvest celebration in other parts of the world. These games were played and practiced by Hawaiians well before Captain Cook arrived and are still played by people of all ages. Kōnane (Hawaiian checkers), is a game of strategy that was used by our Chiefs to plan war moves. Ulumaika is a game similar to bowling that is all about aim and skill. We can build your Hawaiian Makahiki Games to fit your group’s unique theme or needs. Duration: 1–2 hours.
- Team Building Events – Duration: 2–4 hours based on group size and movement of group
- My Little Grass Shack at Pauoa Bay
- Nā Pa’ani Kahakai – Beach Games
- Nā Pa’ani Hui – Team Games
Add to the ambiance of your event with traditional Hawaiian activities that your attendees can participate in and make souvenirs to take home as a lasting memory. Our Hui Holokai are ready to host the following arts and crafts for you:
- Coconut Frond Weaving – Weave fish, canoes or baskets.
- Lei Making – Learn to make lei. Choose from a variety of lei styles; ti leaf-hilo, flower lei-kui, braided-haku, twined-wili.
- Mo‘olelo Time – Storytelling of Hawai‘i island myths, legends and history under the stars.
- ‘Ohe Kāpala (Bamboo Stamping) – Stamp traditional Hawaiian prints on tee shirts or other items provided at a per item cost.
- Kukui Nut Jewelry – Clean, sand and polish a kukui nut to make a bracelet or necklace.
- Coconut Husking & Tasting
- Throw Net Demonstration – Learn to handle and throw a large fish net in an ancient Hawaiian fishing style that is still practiced today.
- Kākau (Polynesian Tattoos) – Discuss your genealogy and family traditions and have a temporary tattoo drawn on to wear for the night.
These activities are for attendees 13 years and older. Activities will be customized for children 12 and under.
Duration: 2 hours